Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Changing your buying habits ? ..........

  1. #1
    Inactive Member RacerXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2003
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has the recession (or depression ? ...) we are currently in affected your ability to buy more audio gear ?

    Things are pretty dire around here in South-Eastern Michigan...... but I seem to keep coming across deals I can't pass up. Found a Fostex MR-8HD-CD digital 8 channel recorder w/ an internal CD burner in it for $200. Got 2 have it. Wish it was a 16 channel.....but that would defintely be more $$.

    Think the diving economy is having an affect on the prices for vintage altec gear ? I've got to believe it's taking a few people out of the market which - in theory - means prices should come down.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hasn't changed my buying much. Missed a pr of 803B muticells with single throat adapters on ePay today for $220! They were in Toronto for pick up only. Sh--.
    Jon

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, I have a son that lives in Toronto. Now do I wamnt to add them to my collection. I could get rid of my 1005's. I don't think I would part with my MR94's.

    Jim N

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    In the middle of this year I purchased a pair of 416Bs from a forum member. At that time 1 Australian dollar = US 95cents. That figure has crashed to the current level of US 65cents, making most international purchases prohibitive for me. The good news is that you guys might find the occasional bargain downunder worth consideration.

    After I finish tha Atomic 16 guitar amp clone I will be reviewing my project list in light of increased component costs.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Same in Canada. When our dollar was over a buck US, it made buying easy but now that she's sunk, we have to buy in Canada which limits our choices.

    Overall buying has not decreased.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, if it makes any difference to you, I don't think anything has happened to the Australian and Canadian dollar except that because oil is traded in US dollars the dollar tends to move inversely to the price of oil. It's probably more important for oil-buying nations to have a stable price of oil than of JBL components, although it would be nice if the dollar were pegged to the value of a Paragon.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 08, 2008 03:09 PM: Message edited by: speakerdave ]</font>

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't buy Altec gear on a whim.
    My spendable income is decent, but hardly over the top.
    Put it this way, I'm far below the $250K/year earners. FAR below. In fact, I'm stunned that there appears to be so many who make over that.

    I'm happy to still have a job.

    I believe that ebay prices on the stuff we like will drop....they have to. So if you are secure in your job, and have cash to spend....deals will be had.

    Me, I'm laying low.....

    Ron

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    well, im in the constuction business, i do floors...and with two or three houses on about every block, for sale, things look a little scetchy.
    that being said, i still have all these wants, and needs. id like to be able to get a good deal if one comes up, so in the mean time, ill remain conserevative in all other spending expendatures, hopefully leaving room in the budget for audio

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSSS:
    I don't buy Altec gear on a whim.
    My spendable income is decent, but hardly over the top.
    Put it this way, I'm far below the $250K/year earners. FAR below. In fact, I'm stunned that there appears to be so many who make over that.

    I'm happy to still have a job.

    I believe that ebay prices on the stuff we like will drop....they have to. So if you are secure in your job, and have cash to spend....deals will be had.

    Me, I'm laying low.....

    Ron
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think everyone is laying low. the only good news is the decline of energy prices.
    About the perception of income, though, only 1.5% of us Americans make 250K or more. Here's some data:[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States[/ame] On the positive side, if you make more than 26K/year you're in the 99th percentile across the planet.

    forums

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just hope that HP does not lay off too many of us EDS people in the transition over the next couple of years. I have many plans for new Altec projects that will go away if I get a severance package.... I have fall back options, but I will take a pay cut...

    I don't think Obama is going to save me... :|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.